Another really simple, delicious dish for the whole family. Use whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta for the gluten free version. Make two and freeze one.
Lasagne Ingredients & Directions
- 9 – 11 lasagne noodles – 100% certified organic gluten free brown rice.
- Cooked as per directions on box.
Layer in order
- Drizzle of Olive Oil on the bottom of 9 x 12 glass baking dish
- 3 – 5 noodles to cover bottom of dish
- Approximately two tablespoons Tomato Paste to cover noodles
- Cooked sliced mushrooms, with onion and garlic
- Home canned tomatoes (drained)
- Zucchini – raw finely sliced
- Red and yellow pepper – raw finely sliced
- Cottage Cheese – half a container (500gr) Organic
- Sprinkle with oregano, thyme, parsley – chopped fresh if available
- White Parmesan cheese – a sprinkle
- Grated Mozzarella cheese – ¼ cup
Add second layer as per above and finish with a final layer of noodles topped with lots of grated mozzarella cheese and herbs.
Bake in the middle of a 350 F degree oven, for 45 minutes, lightly covered with foil. Remove foil and bake further 10 minutes. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
As it says on the lasagne box “Just Right!” and it really does “taste great”. This is a fabulous family favourite ~ always a success and exceptionally tasty !
Notes & Trivia
- Preparation and cooking time approximately an hour
- Make two lasagnes and freeze one for later
- Great leftover snack or lunch
- Although not always easy to find in smaller communities more and more brown rice pasta products are becoming mainstream such as rice macaroni, and rice shells (great in Minestrone soup) and of course the organic brown rice lasagne noodles. All are gluten free, low fat, low sodium, easy to cook and digest, no preservatives added. All manufactured in Canada or grown in the USA – “made with quality U.S. grown brown rice.”
- Substitutions can be sun dried tomatoes, eggplant in oil, and other vegetables to your liking
- Serve with a fresh salad of your choice
- Most of the recipes on this site hopefully fall into the category of :
- all items on hand
- fast, easy, tasty and economical
- a lifesaver if unexpected company drops by at lunch or dinner time
- Substitution hints to reduce fat content :
- Use fat free cottage cheese instead of regular
- Use light mozzarella cheese