Improved personal health and fitness is always on most people’s New Year Resolution lists and probably for good reason. It’s been a few months since making a few resolutions to perhaps change diet and exercise more, but now the sun is shining and there are many other interests and activities to occupy our precious time and the resolve to make a change and stick to it may be dwindling. Don’t give up – keep on keeping on to be the best you can be. Here are some ideas and a little encouragement:
When my interest in health & exercise is lagging I am always encouraged by others. For example there is a lady in her 80’s who swims lengths every day and evidently did not learn to swim until she was in her 60’s. Whether it is swimming, walking or other exercise I am always impressed by people who have health and weight issues or seniors who are out there giving it their all.
Health & Exercise Challenges
It has been a greater challenge for me recently after family celebrations with good food and a favourite snack or two (like chocolate covered almonds and cranberries) but after a moment of indulgence, accompanied by momentary guilt I am back on track again after thoroughly enjoying my “sometime” treats. If you feel your new year resolutions were over the top extreme, it might be a good idea to revise your goals and be a little more realistic. You can always change your objectives in the future.
Oftentimes it can be a challenge to stay motivated but remind yourself that your personal reward will be a more enjoyable and mobile “you”, and definitely an improvement in your health and well-being. Start with shorter times of exercise several times a week until you are back into the swing of things. Plan something special to look forward to as a reward when you are succeeding.
Easy Daily Exercises for Good Health
- Try a recumbent exercise bike if you have back issues
- Exercise sitting on a Pilates ball while watching TV or talking on the phone
- Swim to your heart’s content
- If you signed up for a fitness class or gym – time to get your moneys worth
- Mow the lawn or start a vegetable garden
- Take up a summer sport – golfing, horse riding, mountain biking, Grouse grinding – lots of options!
- Or how about a new hobby such as latin dancing lessons or go bowling
- You don’t need to be fit enough to compete in a triathlon – unless of course you want to
It is well-known that physical exercise is good for controlling weight, fighting disease, improving your mood, giving you more energy and you sleep better. By varying your activities, and staying with what you find interesting, you will not become bored and tempted to give up. Simply, be the best you can be – your health and wellness are important and there is still lots of time to get in shape before summer.
Remember to enjoy every day and have fun! Best wishes!
Links & References
- Exercise can benefit your lungs
- Regular exercise is good for your brain
- Exercise is good for your heart – Fitness basics from the American Heart Association
- Physical fitness is good for your kids – try for an hour outside a day
- Lots of nutritious food ideas for your children
- Try a change of diet for yourself
- Time for a change – some more food choices
- Do you need a change of focus