On our last trip to Australia while driving through East Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, it was by chance we stopped at the conveniently located Yarragon Tea Rooms and take away. When travelling anywhere away from home it is always enjoyable to be able to stop and appreciate a refreshing cuppa of your choice and take a break. This takeaway and tea rooms combined were easy to find on the main drive (western end Melbourne to Sale highway) and there was plentiful and accessible parking which is often a concern in larger country towns.
Like many Victorian country towns Yarragon is very clean and relaxing. We visited the delightful Yarragon Takeaway and spacious tea rooms not once but twice while driving through East Gippsland along the Princes Highway. The two businesses are together, but distinctly different, and are well worth a visit whether you are looking for a meal, snack and coffee, or a station break.
The second time we frequented the takeaway was on our way to catch the Sorrento ferry and we can recommend the pasties and a “build your own” sandwich. I enjoyed my decaf coffee and was interested to see the cafe also sold “fat-free” fruit cake. The takeaway menu initially seemed pretty basic but there were lots of healthy food items as well as a few tables and chairs to eat your takeaway purchases.
An added bonus is that there are clean washrooms available behind the tea room – always great when on a long drive.
If you are still hungry and would like to buy some fresh bread or other pastry treats for your travels there is a bakery next door with baking on premises.
Also sells ice cream – another holiday treat. There is also an extensive wine and beer shop and delicatessen section which offer a variety of local and Australian cheeses and other tempting delicacies. It is well worth a visit for the variety of both. Along with the Bakery they can be found at:
- 123 Princes Highway Yarragon Vic 3823 (03) 563-42451 “Delight in the flavours of Gippsland”
Enjoy trying all the tempting dishes and if you are a local – lucky you! Until next time, happy travels and hooroo …
Links & References
- A Trip to Australia
- Time to say good-bye to Australia for now
- Abundant Australian Wildlife & Heritage Buildings – Bairnsdale
Places along the Gippsland Highway to visit
- Warragul ~ close to the Mt. Baw Baw snowfields
- Moe ~ an 1850’s Gippsland heritage town and is the centre of the Latrobe Valley power industry
- Morwell ~ in the heart of the Latrobe Valley with a beautiful rose garden
- Traralgon – visit the tea rooms
- Sale – visit the wetlands
- Bairnsdale – with beautiful heritage buildings
- Lakes Entrance – stroll by the sea-shore
- Take a side trip to picturesque Paynesville
- The A1 Highway continues to Mallacoota and the New South Wales border