Curried carrot soup – another family favourite for you to try. Winter officially begins in a few weeks and it’s time to make some nutritious homemade soup. When you buy bulk organic carrots besides blending to make carrot juice make up a batch of this soup. The curry, garlic and apple all add to the sweet taste. It is great for dinner with a grilled cheese sandwich and a salad, with hemp hearts and sliced fresh vegetables. This thick, creamy soup does not need to be thickened with flour. As always it is quick and easy to prepare. Here’s how :
Curried Carrot soup Ingredients
- 8 medium-sized carrots chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- 1 green apple chopped (with skin on)
- 32 oz vegetable broth (add water to make up 7 – 8 cups)
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves minced
- Spices: 1 tablespoon curry, 1 teaspoon cumin, 6 shakes of ground pepper, optional: salt to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in a pot using a little of the vegetable broth – takes 3 to 5 minutes
- Add chopped carrots, potatoes, apple and 6 cups vegetable broth & 2 of water, also add spices
- Bring to boil and simmer 15 – 20 minutes – remove from heat and let cool slightly
- Use a hand blender to cream the soup
- When serving garnish with : yoghurt sour cream and chopped parsley or parmesan cheese, chopped fresh green onions or chives
This makes a quick, thick and tasty soup. It is also great comfort food and healthy for your entire family.The fragrance of the spices while cooking works up an appetite and there should be enough for leftovers the next day. Nutritious homemade soup is great any time of year. Hmmmmm delightfully delicious! Experiment away!
Extra Notes :
- Chicken soup stock, or water, would also be good to use but vegetable stock is preferred
- Spices can also be stirred in at the beginning when sauteing the onions
- This quantity makes four adult servings
- Use 32 oz packet of organic vegetable broth and make up the remaining liquid with water or added broth to make a total of 8 cups
- This is hearty, low sodium, low-calorie and gluten-free soup!
- Carrots are one of the vegetables we always buy organically grown as there are many chemicals used to grow them
Raw carrots are highly nutritious with Vitamins A, K & B6 as well as potassium, phosphorus & calcium
Grow your Own Carrots
Here is information if you wish to grow your own carrots. Carrots grow well with chives, onions, lettuce, peas, pole beans, rosemary, sage and tomatoes.
Carrots are an extremely healthy food to eat daily, great for snacking, salads, baking; besides juicing and smoothies. They are a very beneficial vegetable and make absolutely delicious soups. Enjoy!