Have you ever wondered if there was no money before your pay cheque where you would get your next meal? We are fortunate to have as an option our local Food Bank which is a good place to start. At this time of year, during our summer, food donations and inventories are low and if you can make a donation it will go to people who need it. The Abbotsford Food Bank also offers other worthwhile services to their clients, many of whom are children as well as seniors and those with health concerns and disabilities. Here is an easy way for you to help others in your community.
Food Bank History
- The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society started in 1982 in response to the hunger crisis during the 1981 recession
- Originally organized by concerned citizens, church groups and businesses
- In Canada, about 850,000 people turn to food banks for help each month
- Many food banks are operated with the help of volunteers
Food Bank Donations
– a great way to support your Community
Non perishable food item suggestions:
- Pasta and pasta sauces
- Canned meat and fish
- Peanut butter
- Canned beans, soups, stews
- Packet rice, soup mixes
- Canned and powdered Milk products
- Canned vegetables and fruit
- Whole Grain Cereals
- Packaged breakfast cereals
- Infant food & baby formula
- Bathroom tissue & diapers
Food Bank Services
- Your local Food Bank may also offer worthwhile services such as free dental care. Many seniors do not have government dental insurance coverage and can be cared for on site
- Some Food Banks offer related services to homeless and vulnerable youth in the Fraser Valley as well as community kitchens
- Christmas Bureau Donations: At Christmastime add the Abbotsford Food Bank to your Christmas List
“Our BC community food banks help 103,464 people in our province every month …
one-third of these are children”
– Food Banks BC
The original food banks were only meant to be temporary but due to ongoing and increasing need it has become one of the largest non-profit organizations of its kind funded without government subsidy. It is great that such an organization as the Abbotsford Food Bank exists to help out those less fortunate in our community. Donate food items or contact them directly if you wish to help. Thanks for your support!
Links & References:
- Abbotsford Food Bank
- Abbotsford Food Bank – Christmas Bureau – sponsor a family or senior
- Abbotsford Community Services
- Farm 2 Food Bank – gleaning local farm produce
- “Food bank use in B.C. is at a record high according to Food Banks Canada’s annual hunger count.” (2016) – CBC News
Door-to-door Advisory from your Food Bank:
- Food Banks BC and its 100 member food banks do NOT solicit cash donations from door-to-door, nor do they support anyone doing so on their behalf.
- Occasionally food banks may be supported by a local community partner, such as your church, that collects food on their behalf, however in these cases that partner will have a letter of verification that contains an identifiable food bank, contact name and phone number for verification purposes.
- If you are solicited for a cash donation to assist a food bank by anyone claiming to act on behalf of, or work for Food Banks BC or another local food bank, please contact our office as well as report your encounter to your own local authorities.