Roast garlic & potato soup – satisfying comfort food on a windy Sunday afternoon! Definitely adding this nutritious, easy-to-make from scratch soup to our Favourite Soups list. The garlic used in the recipe was grown in our home garden, very tasty and chemical free.
Garlic Soup Ingredients
- 5 – 6 garlic Bulbs (to roast)
- One cup chopped onion
- One cup diced carrot
- 2 cups Vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups diced potato (about 2 lb)
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- One teaspoon each dried basil & oregano
- One cup milk
- Chopped Parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Roast Garlic Soup Directions
- To roast Garlic: Clean & chop tops from 6 garlic bulbs, add small amount of olive oil & wrap in foil. Roast garlic 40 to 45 minutes in a 350 F oven. Let cool (overnight)
- To make Soup: In large soup pot add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then add onion, carrots & 2 cloves of garlic minced * Saute 5 minutes
- Then add: broth, water, potatoes, fresh garlic & one Bay leaf & herbs. Bring to boil. Cover & simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Remove from heat. Remove Bay leaf
- Combine two cups of the potato broth & the roast garlic (after removing the pulp from skins).
- Use blender to puree until smooth & return to the potato broth in the pot. Mix well.
- Stir in one cup of milk. Reheat and serve hot
- Toppings: chopped parsley, parmesan cheese, plain yoghurt or sour cream
Hints & Notes:
- I roasted the garlic bulbs the night before and made fresh soup for lunch the next day
- For a stronger garlic flavour, add 2 extra cloves of fresh minced garlic *
- Makes 6 generous adult servings
- Once the garlic is roasted it does not take long to make this soup, perhaps 30 minutes.
Absolutely delicious and a super combination of creamy & chunky soup. Definitely no leftovers. You will want to add this Roast Garlic Soup to your own Favourite Soup list.