Nutritious, wholesome organic eggs on the daily menu for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Here is a little background on organic BC SPCA fed chickens and their eggs as well as a few family recipes and health benefits of the “impressive” egg – and yes there is a difference between organic and non organic eggs …
Whats special about Organic Eggs :
There are differences in eggs such as size, colour and protein content, etc depending on what they are fed, how they are raised and for us, organic is a winner. We have bought our organic eggs and chicken from Tim & Flo at Rockweld Farms for many years. Here are the nutrition facts for organic chicken eggs. Nutrients of organic eggs from USA Department of Agriculture:
- Calories – 80
- Fat – 6 grams
- Carbohydrate -1 gram
- Fiber & Sugar – zero
- Protein – 7 grams
Eggs are a good source of Vitamin A, Iron and Calcium.
Facts about certified organic chicken eggs:
- Use SPCA certified chicken feed
- Non GMO products
- Non medicated chickens
- Humanely treated, and Non caged laying hens
- Healthy organic chicken feed = healthy nutritious chicken eggs
- The freshest eggs – ask what day the eggs were laid
Try some of our Family Favourite Egg Recipes :
- A Simple Healthy Egg Omelette with shrimp. Always an easy, time-saving meal
- Popular Devilled Eggs – my version. Note: I use eggs which are more than 2 weeks old as they are easier to “peel”
- A fabulous Super Simple Oven Baked Frittata – another recipe made with healthy fresh eggs
- Make your own Pickled Eggs – a “tried and true” recipe. Great to have on hand for the coming holiday season
- Try Coconut Flour Pancakes with your eggs or as a dessert with fruit
- … and now that winter is approaching try always popular Chunky Chicken Soup Tip: we use chicken backs and necks; roast them (& freeze what we don’t use) to make broth for this soup.
- PS: Kids love scrambled eggs in wraps with bean sprouts, greens, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers with cheese, salsa and sour cream. Healthy, easy and quick!
Eat Local … Eat Healthy … & Eat Ethical
Note: Rockweld’s certified organic feed is supplied by Canadian Organic Feeds in Chilliwack, BC. The feed consists of wheat, corn, full fat soybean meal, limestone, flaxseed meal and minerals. Non GMO
That’s it. Include healthy eggs in your diet on a regular basis if there are no family allergies and please try some of these quick and nourishing recipes to make wholesome “meals in minutes”.
Links & References:
- Check out your local BC farmers market and ask questions about your farmer’s produce
- Additional information on Organic Chickens & Eggs (2013)
- A “must view” for anyone over the age of 60: “Why cholesterol may not be the cause of heart disease. If you or anyone you know is concerned about heart health” … & much more … Dr Mark Hyman with Dr Aseem Malhotra
- “Added sugars drive nutrient and energy deficit in obesity” by James J DiNicolantonio, Amy Berger Article on added sugars, obesity and diet
- 50 Fun Facts about Chickens