Over the past four years I have read a mountain of books on a variety of topics. Following is a very short list of a few you may enjoy reading for learning and reference. They cover a range of topics but stay close to Caramel and Parsley’s interests these days, namely: our health (food) and our environment including gardening. Most of the books are recent publications and the others – well, some things are timeless.
#1 “Food – What the Heck Should I Eat?
#2 – Changing Faces
#3 – “Pure, White and Deadly”
A classic written originally in the 1970’s with the subtitle “How sugar is killing us and what we can do to stop it”. Dr. John Yudkin was vilified with the publication of this book which was reprinted with introduction by Dr. Robert Lustig. This short book is a “must read” for anyone who believes that sugar is harmless especially to young children. It will have maximum impact on how you think about sugar forever in the future.
#4 – Plan B 3.0
“The choice is ours – yours and mine. We can stay with business as usual and preside over an economy that continues to destroy its natural support systems until it destroys itself, or we can adopt Plan B and be the generation that changes direction … “
~ Lester B. Brown Pg 287
“Plan B 3.0 Mobilizing to Save Civilization” by Lester R. Brown
I recently discovered Lester Brown and am sorry it was not sooner. Both his books and video are easily understandable and I appreciate the fact that he offers solutions instead of simply repeating the problems with regard to climate change and related concerns affecting us all.
#5 – “Square Foot Gardening”
In closing …
As mentioned, “The subjects of these books are what Caramel and Parsley is all about – a blog with first hand information on living a simpler, healthier lifestyle, food selection and toxins to avoid, organic gardening, and being kind to our environment.” Enjoy reading one or more of these books and check out other books by these authors. Keep learning, be the best you can be, and enjoy every day.
- #1 – “Food – What the Heck Should I Eat?” by Mark Hyman, MD, Little, Brown & Co, 2018
- #2 – “Changing Faces – The Consequences of Exposure to Gene and Thyroid Disrupting Toxins” by Judy Hoy, CreateSpace, 2017
- #3 – “Pure, White and Deadly” by John Yudkin, Penguin Books, 2012
- #4 – “Plan B 3.0 Mobilizing to Save Civilization” by Lester R. Brown, WW Norton, 2008
- #5 – “Square Foot Gardening” by Mel Bartholomew, Rodale, 2005
Links & References:
- Dr. Mark Hyman interviews Dr. Aseem Malhotra – on Statins, obesity (You tube video 2018)
- Interview Lester R Brown (45 minute You tube Video 2014)
- Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Dr. Robert Lustig (89 minute UCSF video 2009)
- Books to Add to your Reading List