Here are three super simple fresh salads great any time of year but delicious as an accompaniment for a summer BBQ on the porch, in the park or at the beach.
Quick Greek Salad
This is always a favourite and is great made ahead. Keep dressing and feta cheese separate to mix when served:
- Two cucumbers chopped
- Three or 4 tomatoes - chopped
- One or 2 Green Peppers
- ½ a purple onion - finely sliced
- A small Jar of Kalamata olives
- Chop the first 3 vegetables and add items 4 & 5. Mix vegetables well.
- Make a dressing of your choice such as olive oil & vinegar (50/50) with fresh lemon juice and a tablespoon of dry oregano spice (or to taste)
- When serving the Greek salad add the dressing and a generous portion of crumbled Feta cheese
"The Best" Tomato & Onion Salad
- 4 to 6 Tomatoes - chopped
- Two medium white onions - thick sliced
- Pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- Pinch Cayenne pepper (Optional or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Fresh mint - chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- After chopping onions cover with cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain
- Add chopped tomatoes & mix with onions
- Mix spices and add to tomato & onion mix
- Mix Sauce ingredients & add to tomatoes & onion mix
- If possible, let stand half an hour before serving.
This is another family favourite recipe especially when we have our own organic tomatoes fresh from the garden. Thanks for the recipe, Lisa.
"It's difficult to think of anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato"
~ Lewis Grizzard
Kale & 2 Bean Super Salad
This is a shortened version of a most nutritious salad:
- 2 to 4 large fresh kale leaves torn into ½" pieces
- ½ cup Purple Cabbage - finely chopped
- ½ cup Green Cabbage - finely chopped
- 1 Cup each of Pinto Beans and Black Beans
- 1 cup of Kernel corn (or fresh cooked if available)
- Half Purple onion - finely sliced & then chopped
- Chop kale, cabbages, onion & other vegetables & mix together
- Mix beans a& corn separately & set aside
- Toss vegetables & bean mixture just before meal time
Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar (50/50) and add a tablespoon of Tamari Sauce and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. I like to add a clove or two of chopped garlic and a little oregano to taste. Mix well before using.
All salads, especially those with dressings should be kept in a refrigerator or kept cool before serving.
That's it! You can switch and mix veggies to your liking, by adding small cauliflower florets, sunflower seeds or a small amount of dried cranberries. You can also substitute fresh organic strawberries slices or a little feta or parmesan cheese to a salad for variety. No more rules - just healthy fresh food. Enjoy!
Happy Summer ...
Links & References:
- The Truth About Fat & Sugar, Dr Aseem Malhotra
- Dr Robert Lustig reveals Foods with Loads of Hidden Sugars: short video
- CAP Recipe: How to Make Devilled Eggs
- CAP Recipe: Easy Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- Easy to Make Real Healthy Food
- 15 Reasons to Grow Your Own tomatoes
- Be safe with your food handling during the summer
"Holy Cows & Hog Heaven:
The Food Buyer's Guide to Farm Friendly Food"