Are you dreaming of a new veggie garden ? If you are determined you too can have an amazing first year veggie garden. Here are a few ideas to help you plan a garden of your own. Its a lot of fun and the best idea of all is just to start right now. Here we go ... it all began in the month of May ...
A First Year Veggie Garden
Where to begin can be a challenge especially if you are moving into a new-to-you-home and also hope to start a first time vegetable garden from the ground up. Considerations such as :
- Sunshine is important as is an accessible water supply
- If your soil is not readily plantable what soil is best to buy and use for healthy crops. First choice was organic for healthier veggies
- What seeds to grow? This can take a little time and as often happens you will run out of planting space. Of course start with what you and your family like to eat such as radish, peas and strawberry plants
- If you have the time to plant some companion or edible flowers such as nastursiums and herbs ie borage add them to your list. Great idea.
- Are there other costs or materials necessary such as for raised beds or a deer proof fence before the gardening can begin?
The Gardening Learning Curve
One of the joys and pleasures of vegetable gardening is that you can learn as you go and not to be discouraged. After all this is fun and more so when the whole family is involved. After many decades of gardening I am still learning and relearning. It remains a "joy" in my life.
I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose
I would always greet it in a garden.
— Ruth Stout
Gardening Fun ...
There is always lots to do - and dealing with the unexpected is an example. The garden was in but not the wildlife fence and it did not take long for the deer, etc to find the new veggie garden. After a nocturnal evening visit to the garden by a deer, or two, the fence was up the next day! How to keep Deer and raccoons, etc out of the vegetable garden
If you have a neighbour, friend, or perhaps family who are "gardeners" they are always ready to help often with gifts of seeds, transplants, vegetables and always advice. Best wishes with your new veggie garden.
In Closing ...
This is a mostly visual article with a few photos and also links to help you on your way. Be positive and if something does not grow well, try again or replace it next year. Growing some of your own vegetables has so many benefits such as great tasting fruit and vegetables, personal health and well being and it's simply good for the environment, your family, the birds and bees, etc.
Congratulations Lisa on a fabulous First Year vegetable garden. You are a great inspiration to many others. Sure looking forward to tasting future endeavours. Enjoy the fruits of your labours with family and friends
PS Grandkids are a great big positive in the garden. Helping their Mum with the new organic soil, and moving plants around ... Great job guys.
The first supermarket supposedly appeared on the American landscape in 1946. That is not very long ago.
Until then, where was all the food?
Dear folks, the food was in homes, gardens, local fields, and forests.
It was near kitchens, near tables, near bedsides.
It was in the pantry, the cellar, the backyard ~ Joel Salatin
Links & References :
- Many Reasons to Start a Vegetable Garden in 2019 (ie Anytime)
- 5 More Reasons to Start a Vegetable Garden ... CAP (2017)
- Lots of Reasons to Mulch your Gardens - CAP (2015)
- 2020 Guide to Pesticides in Produce from @EWG aka The Clean 15 & Dirty Dozen lists
- Eat Real Food - The Bottom Line on Processed Food Toxicity 36 minute video from Dr. Robert Lustig, Endocrinologist (2019)
- The Sugar - Cancer Connection 1 minute video from Dr Lewis Cantley (2018)
- Treat Sugar Like Tobacco To Save Lives And Rapidly Improve Population Health article by Dr Aseem Malhotra (2016)
Check out the rest of the Caramel and Parsley Gardening category for lots of fruit and vegetables ideas on what and how to grow your favourite vegetables & fruit in the Lower Mainland
"… neither you nor your children need to take any sugar at all, or foods or drinks made with it, in order to enjoy a completely healthy & highly nutritious diet”
~ Quote from Dr John Yudkin "Pure White & Deadly" (Page 5)
Sugar Quotes from Dr John Yudkin @CaramelParsley (2020)