Everyone loves mouth watering chocolate ripple cake. This popular no bake recipe, because of the “bikkies” (Oz slang for biscuits) has loads of calories in it which for a special occasion, like a birthday, will be overlooked. The gluten free version of this log was made using gluten free ginger snaps! Just have fun preparing this cake ~ which is always a "hit". It's really simple as long as you can keep your fingers out of the whipped cream!
Chocolate Ripple Ingredients
- 250 gram Chocolate Ripple cookies (See Canadian substitution below)
- Small amount McWilliams Royal Reserve Sweet Sherry (or suitable substitute)
- 250 ml Thickened Cream (gelatin free)
- Place entire packet of cookies (Oz = biscuits) on a tray and sprinkle lightly with sherry. Lightly moisten the biscuits as otherwise they become too soggy and fall apart
- Thicken the cream by whipping until stiff but still spreadable
- Make a “log” of biscuits by joining (Oz = plaster together) with a thin layer of thickened cream
- Keep adding and alternating cream and biscuits until all used
- Cover entire log (top and sides ) with cream
- Place (Oz = chuck) in refrigerator overnight in an airtight container
Mmmmmmmm ! This fun recipe is an incredibly delightfully melt in your mouth delicious and “dead easy” treat.
Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.
- The original recipe calls for 500 ml of Cream. Only 250 ml was used as the biscuits are much smaller even when rows are placed side by side.
- To reduce fat content substitute reduced fat whipping (heavy) cream
- Half teaspoon each of vanilla and sugar can be added to the cream when being whipped
- Other liquors, such as orange, can be substituted for sherry
- Chocolate flakes, sprinkles, strawberries can be added as toppings of the log
- When serving the cake cut slices on an angle
- This is an Australian recipe and perfect the way it is!
- Chocolate Ripple bikkies are not available in Canada so we substituted Mr. Christie's Chocolate Wafers, or you could use Mi-Del Ginger Snaps for a gluten free version as shown in the photos
- Because of total calories, etc a piece of this biscuit cake is your monthly dessert allocation!
A marvellous recipe which takes planning - not time. Thanks Pete!
"Can it be a mistake that STRESSED is DESSERTS spelled backwards ??"