It's that time of year when the local farmers markets are opening up usually in the month of May each year. Last weekend our local market had many more stalls set up and was very busy - good to see new faces and increased organic food purchase options. During the summer months in B.C. some markets open twice a week so check out your local market, and encourage new farmers and artisans to attend as well as family and friends. Support your local farmer when possible. Check out the previous CAP articles on local farmers markets and organic produce. Organic is just good for you.
We are always pleased with the high quality and diversity of produce available at our local market. We buy our locally made chemical free bread, organic mushrooms, organic eggs, chickens, beef and whatever greens are available each week. This past weekend it was good to see many more stalls selling plants, organic vegetables for the garden and handmade home crafted products.
“Eat Locally, Choose Ethically”
Farmers Markets -#1 for local shopping
We continue to buy fresh chemical free products, especially vegetables, when possible - some of the most common reasons people continue to buy organic are :
- Certified organic products in B.C. meet strict requirements and should have minimal chemical residuals
- Local organic food is often picked same day - really it cannot get fresher than that!
- Both hormone and antibiotic free beef and chicken meat were available - an excellent choice
- Yes, there is a difference - fresh chemical free food just tastes better, is juicier and lasts longer than a day in your refrigerator
- Residual pesticides in our foods and homes is now well documented and reducing food toxins as much as possible especially for young children (because of their greatly increased susceptibility) and those with compromised immune systems should be paramount for caregivers
- It's a myth that organic produce is always more expensive than not - many times we buy far superior local farmers produce, often more reasonably priced than similar Big Box Store organic produce
- It is environmentally friendly to buy local and consume produce which is not shipped from another province or country
- Simply buying organic - is supporting a more sustainable, environmentally friendly, healthy lifestyle which, as stated, is just good for you
Hickety Pickety - Old Nursery Rhyme
my black hen.
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
And sometimes ten.
my black hen.
Yes, we will continue to grow our own chemical free veggies and buy organic produce when we are able. We believe there are most definitely health benefits to this and peace of mind when we serve tasty organic produce to family and friends. It is well worth it - especially for our children and grandchildren. Take time this weekend to check out your local farmers market - it's a fun family affair.
Links & References
- See links here for farmers markets in B.C. - Lower Mainland and Country towns
- Organic capital of Canada - right here in B.C. - a CAP article
- Information on buying certified organic - CAP article "What does Organic mean in our food industry"
- Fruit and vegetable pesticide residual information, CAP article Time for a Change in Extra Notes
- Here's an article supporting the purchase of hormone and antibiotic free meat products
Leave a Reply