If your children drink lots of Sugary Drinks there is a good possibility that they may have a disease called Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease or NAFLD. Many parents I talk to today seem to know very little about this illness. For instance, in one the following videos it states that once a person, or childs liver is scarred the condition is not reversible. Please watch these easy to understand short videos from Dr Robert Lustig, an Endocrinologist, MD
… neither you nor your children need to take any sugar at all, or foods or drinks made with it,
in order to enjoy a completely healthy & highly nutritious diet” (Pg 5)
~ "Pure White & Deadly" by John Yudkin
FATTY LIVER DISEASE & Lifelong Health for Kids
This article simply features a few video interviews with Dr. Lustig regarding the subject of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, sugar addiction, obesity, etc:
- "Causes of Sugar Addiction" (4 min 43 sec)
- "How Sugar Damages the Liver " (2 min 59 sec)
- "Sugar feeds Cancer? " (3 min 03 sec)
- "Is Damage from Sugar Reversible?" (1 min 4 sec)
- "What to do about Sugar Toxicity?" We need a policy that provides real food (4 min 43 sec)
- "Which diets work best?" Real food diet. (3 min 9 sec)
- "Is a calorie just a calorie?" Are all calories the same? It is a myth" (6 min 48 sec)
- "Is Sugar Addictive" (1 min 56 sec)
Thanks to Dr Robert Lustig and Dr Anton Titov of DiagnosticDetectives.Com for these extremely insightful videos which are so easy to understand. In the words of Dr Lustig "Be educated... & Take control of our lives ..."
"McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese nutrition:
740 calories, 42 g fat (20 g saturated fat, 2.5 g trans fat), 1,360 mg sodium, 43 g carbs (3 g fiber,
10 g sugar), 48 g protein"
~ "Eat This, Not That!"
It is challenging to find recent statistics of adults or children who have Chronic Liver Disease, including Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease which is now of epidemic proportions in many countries such as US. After watching the above videos hope you have a much better understanding of how sugar can have a lifelong detrimental affect for both you and your children.
This is a short article but hopefully with a powerful impact. Check out some of the other Caramel and Parsley lifestyle articles in both the Health and Recipe categories.
With best wishes ~ Liz
Links & References:
- Definition & Facts of NAFLD & NASH - US Dept Health
- Clinical epidemiology and disease burden of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (2017) NIH
- Metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - PubMed
- Burden of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Canada, 2019–2030
- Prevalence trends in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease at the global, regional and national levels, 1990–2017 from BMJ Journals (2019)
- Dr Aseem Malhotra on Heart Disease & Metabolic Syndrome" (2021)
- Simple "Sugar Equivalent Infographics" from Dr David Unwin (2021)
- "What Exactly is Ultra Processed Food" (2021)
Health and Diet: "Sugar Hiding in Plain Sight" - short 4 min video lesson