During a recent trip to Australia (2016) we crossed paths several times with participants in the Great Bike Ride in Victoria, Australia. What an event! We missed the start of the race at Halls Gap, in the Grampians by a few days but caught up with the riders over-nighting in Apollo Bay on our way to the 12 Apostles. We also caught up with, and drove with hundreds of participants for over half an hour near Queenscliff on the Bellarine Peninsula near the end of the race. The weather was perfect for creating a memorable 9 day cycling event; not too much sun and no rain. We met a couple of Canadians who were in the ride and one entering the Iron Man triathlon in Ballarat.
If you are an enthusiast why not pack your bag and bike and head Down Under for the Great Bike Race in 2017 ... back to the 2016 ride:
Incredibly Spectacular Scenery
History of the Great Bike Ride
- Takes place November / December each year
- Over 120,000 people have participated in The Ride since its beginnings in 1984 including 4200 in 2016
- Many young riders and school students are involved
- There are multi day options of 3, 5, and 9 days
- Every imaginable bike was seen from tandems to recumbent bikes and even chariots with small children
- Hundreds of volunteers are required each year to support and follow participants
- Trip lengths can be over 300 Km
- Believed to be the world's largest non-competitive bicycle race, and,
- a great multi-day day biking / camping event
The Great Bike Ride continues ...
- This very popular event is more than a bike holiday. It is well-organized with a supportive network and extra events scheduled.
- See you at Wilsons Promontory, Victoria, Australia for the Great Bike Ride through Gippsland to the Great Divide? Take time to travel around Victoria. No matter where you travel, the scenery will take your breath away. Register here.
- A great way to see Australia, have fun and relax.
Happy travels. Be safe & enjoy.
The Rip, Pt Phillip : Incredible video of a Pilot boat on a not very calm day at the Rip