More Real Healthy Food is a continuation of the recent article on Easy to Make Real Healthy Food Here are some of my personal healthy favourite foods. It really is not complicated to put together a quick lunch or dinner to please anyone!
A few of my Favourite Healthy Foods
- Soups are a big favourite all year but especially in winter mostly with a vegetable or chicken stock base with lots of vegetables. Examples are Minestrone or Chicken Vegetable soups - thick and chunky
- Eggs are a super easy and very healthy food to make up for your family, as an omelette, frittata, hot or cold, hardboiled, or in a wrap. A long time family favourite is devilled eggs
- Seafood & fish such as salmon & sardines are a large part of my diet. Whole fish can be seasoned, oiled and baked in foil in the oven. Leftovers are always a great time saver
- A serving of Chicken or turkey breast (4 oz) usually with cooked veggies and salad or simply a salad with olives, feta cheese, etc
- Salads: such as cabbage slaw which I eat almost every day. Greens especially spinach and kale (which I grow most of the year)
- Cheeses such as crumbled feta (on salads), parmesan (in egg dishes), ricotta and swiss cheese, butter
and more healthy foods ...
- Vegetables - all you can eat! Well almost! Vegetables such as : broccoli, beans, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, kale, spinach, greens, mushrooms, onions, peas, squash, sweet potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, pumpkin. Lots of choices.
- Fruit such as: apple, avocado, berries (mostly blackberry, local blueberry & homegrown strawberry & raspberry) rhubarb, (I know it's a vegetable)
- Tomatoes! I grow tomatoes in our home garden every year. I can (preserve) & freeze tomatoes to eat all year. They are chemical free and absolutely delicious
- Nuts & Seeds - eat a handful of raw almonds daily and include ground flax & chia seeds in salads, desserts
- Yoghurt - Greek & plain yoghurt with no added sugars. Add cinnamon spice and fruit, nuts & chia seeds for a delectable dessert
- Drinks: Apple Cider vinegar, Coffee, water, soda (no sugar), teas ie. black, green, turmeric, lemon ginger tea
- Other: Mustard, Olives, Olive oil, pickles, spices & herbs and garlic galore and 100% cocoa with zero sugar, peanut butter with flax
Health Reasons to Change:
There are many health reasons to switch to a low carbohydrate Mediterranean type lifestyle:
- What About Sugar There is a long list of references at the end of this article with separate articles on research and explanations on the connection between Sugar and ... obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Liver Disease, Cancer and Dental Caries. Please check them out
- It's not just the sugar in our food and drinks but chemicals as well
- Avoid heavily processed "foods" and read the labels. There are at least 8 or 9 added sugars in this "fresh" food
Hoping these notes will help you to be proactive and aware that what you choose to eat can be life altering. A change of diet and lifestyle may be the change you are looking for. Your family's health is important.
These photos are only to give you a few visual ideas on how easy it is to make your own meals. Explore the hundreds of cook books in your library or search online ... and save the favourites! Check out recipe links in Easy to Make Real Healthy Food
In closing as I said in my last article:
I am still learning – please join me!
In good health & happiness in the New Year
Links & References:
- Diabetes is "the processed food disease" Dr. Robert Lustig, MD 30 min Video
- Action on Sugar in UK has a variety of articles on sugar
- An amazing database on chemicals & additives etc used in food from the US FDA
- A New Year & Time for a Change
- Time for a Change - so many choices (2011)
Caramel & Parsley has been in the works since 2008 and online since 2010. Recently I have altered my Lifestyle choices and now include healthy "fats" such as olive oil, butter, whole eggs, seafood, fish, yoghurt and my favourite English chocolate "Absolutely Black" which is 100% cocoa with no sugar. Secondly, we also consume less refined carbohydrates and sugar has been on our "naughty" list for many years.
Leave a Reply