Here is a variation of a very old recipe ~ Pickled eggs ~ a “Heritage” Recipe with a variety of uses! Pure and simple and great to have on hand for a quick snack or side dish. We start off with fresh organic chicken eggs of medium size from our local egg farmer.
Pickled Eggs Ingredients
- 16 Eggs
- One Tablespoon Salt
- Two Cups White Vinegar
- One Cup Cold Water
- One Tablespoon Whole spices – mixed
- One Bay Leaf
- Place eggs in cold, salted water and bring to boil
- Shut off heat and let stand for five minutes
- After draining eggs place in cold (iced) water
- Let eggs cool and then peel
- Mix together vinegar, water and whole spices (tied in a cheese cloth bag)
- Bring to boil and let cool – remembering to take out the bag of spices
- When both eggs and vinegar are cold put into glass canning jars, with a tight lid, and store in the refrigerator
- Leave 24 hours before eating
Pickled eggs have many uses
- Add chopped or sliced to a green garden salad or potato salad
- Make devilled eggs (this is a quick and easy favourite)
- Great as a sandwich filler
- We prefer them just as they are !
Options to suit your taste
- Add other spices such as cloves or cinnamon
- Use other vinegars such as malt, cider or balsamic
- Other variations include adding beetroot, garlic or sliced onions
Get pickling – a healthy and versatile recipe!
- A Heritage Recipe – pickled eggs have been around before there were refrigerators
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for several months – if they are not eaten beforehand!
Links and References
- Wikipedia pickled eggs
Leave a Reply