Here is my kick start organic carrot juice which may help to fight cancer and relieve arthritis pain and has many health benefits; simply it's just good for you. This is my basic recipe using organic raw vegetables ~ all packed full of nutritious vitamins and minerals. It doesn't get much fresher than this:
for one 6 ounce glass of carrot juice
- Four Medium carrots
- One Large Tomato
- One Large Pepper (red, orange, yellow)
- One Clove garlic (or more to taste)
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric spice
Wash vegetables thoroughly and cut them to fit into your brand of juicer.
The above ingredients are the basis for a wide variety of carrot juices. Sometimes for the fun of it other vegetables or fruit can be added. Vegetables such as celery, cabbage, kale or other fresh greens; herbs such as parsley, mint or chives. It all depends on your personal taste or depending on what is available in your garden or in season...
.... and although you probably already know this information, here is what is so good about these ingredients and the reason I juice this basic combination.
~ are packed with antioxidants and minerals such as beta carotene, vitamins A and B and folate. Minerals include calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and iron. Wow ! Eaten raw (not juiced) they are also a great source of fibre.
~ have lycopene which is an antioxidant – and also Vitamins A and C and folate. Minerals include Calcium, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Phosphorus and more!
Red, Orange, Yellow Pepper
~ more of the same good nutrients and antioxidants plus a compound called capsaicin which may have anti carcinogenic, anti diabetic benefits and even lower cholesterol levels. Reds are my favourite and contain a whopping 209 mg of vitamin C.
~ is a superfood all on its own. Check out the link below to the many claims of this wonder bulb, for example, garlic is claimed to help prevent heart disease and certain cancers and has lots of beneficial nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
~ here's a secret healthy ingredient. This spice used for centuries in India is now becoming widely accepted elsewhere for its claimed healing and preventative medicinal properties against diseases such as arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation, multiple myeloma (a form of cancer), lupus, skin cancer, IBS, heart disease, and altzheimer's disease.
Cautions regarding Commercial Fruit & Vegetable Juices
- Commercial fruit juices often contain high levels of sugar (fructose, glucose,sucrose), used as a preservative
- Water is also added to juice so that actual amount of fruit / pulp is greatly reduced
- Salt / sodium may be added, also as a preservative, especially in tomato juice
- And a “drink” versus a juice, well, that's another story
- Other than heating or cooling juice the most common preservatives added to commercial juices is sodium benzoate (GRAS)
- Fruit juice can be irradiated by law
- Not to mention most juice comes in a BPA (Bisphenol A) lined tin or a plastic bottle
- Is it really juice - about flavour packs
- The orange juice industry
- Garnish your freshly made juice with a sprig of mint, add an ice cube or two and serve to company. Refreshing.
- Bulk organic juice carrots can often be purchased at local farmers markets for a very reasonable price
- Remember to continue to eat fresh fruit and vegetables daily for their fibre content
- Make a quick carrot soup for lunch by using the pulp (vegetables only) and adding onions and organic vegetable broth and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a dollop of homemade sour cream.
Soup is liquid comfort ~Author Unknown
- If you still have left over pulp there's always the compost
- The “down” side of this sweet juice is that according to the Mayo Clinic you need fibre to avoid constipation, and may risk high cholesterol, high blood sugar and weight gain. So moderation is recommended.
- My old Charlescraft juicer has no problems separating the juice from the pulp
- No added sugar, salt (sodium), synthetic vitamins or preservatives which are used in many commercial juices
- As always if you have medical concerns check with your doctor before changing your diet.
Making your own delicious, extremely easy juice is a great alternative .... uber healthy for you and your family and a great start to your day.
Links & References
- More carrot information
- Tomatoes may reduce risk of certain types of cancer
- Coloured peppers highly beneficial
- Garlic a true superfood
- Turmeric is in Mayo Clinic list of a best food source for antioxidants
- Turmeric clinical studies (Curcumin) by U.S. government
- Turmeric and cancer
- Information on anti cancer nutrition
- Caramel and Parsley link to Simply Parsley
"Parsley - the jewel of herbs, both in the pot and on the plate." - Albert Stockli