Since watching the documentary entitled "Weed" in 2013 which was researched and narrated by Dr. Sanjay Gupta a second documentary on the use of marijuana for medical purposes by Dr. Gupta has been released in 2014. It is highly recommended that the documentaries be watched in sequence. Here is an outline of some of the content and information from the first documentary "Weed" :
- Background information on the uses of marijuana in the United States, such as Marijuana became illegal in the USA in 1937
- The documentary follows the history of a 5-year-old child being treated for life threatening seizures from Dravet syndrome. Dramatic.
- Scientists don't know exactly how it works
- Long term effects of marijuana on the human brain are discussed including effects on young aged users
- Using medical marijuana appears to be fast acting treatment for muscle spasms and pain relief
- Limited negative side effects from using medical marijuana versus prescription drugs such as morphine or Valium / diazepam, etc.
- Increased quality of life
- Current research by Israel's Ministry of Health includes
- Studies into effects of marijuana on Crohns disease, cancer, pain, tremor reduction, chemotherapy nausea, and,
- Research into using medical marijuana to kill cancer cells
- the (first) documentary from August 2013
There is ongoing controversy over using marijuana (CBD non "high" form) for medicinal purposes. Definitely much more research is required in this area for the huge potential medical benefits of this plant.
Medical Marijuana References
- Dravet syndrome
- Scientific and traditional evidence for use CBD from Mayo Clinic
- Cannabis based Sativex (R) is approved in many countries, including Canada, for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, MS, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, anxiety with limited side effects. Health Canada fact sheet
- Side effects of morphine
- Side effects of Valium / diazepam
Leave a Reply