At a friend's home recently we had a delicious lunch of spaghetti squash with turkey tomato sauce ~ an innovative way to use spaghetti squash instead of noodles. The sauce was made with turkey breast mince. The squash was organically home-grown and sweet. It was so good with a side salad and is so tasty and easy to make.
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Ingredients
- ¾ to 1 pound mince turkey
- 1 medium (2 to 3 lb) Spaghetti squash
- 2 cups raw veggies (I used chopped onions, 2 garlic cloves, sliced organic carrots & cauliflower florets)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables (I used corn kernels and broccoli)
- One 640 ml jar of low-sugar no preservative tomato sauce (with garlic)
- Split the squash in half and remove seeds
- Place flesh side down on a sheet of parchment paper on a tray
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about one hour (or until soft)
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Scrape out spaghetti strands with spoon or knife
While the Spaghetti Squash is Roasting
Prepare the sauce
- Saute the turkey with several cloves of fresh minced garlic and a chopped onion for about 10 minutes
- Add 640 ml jar of spaghetti sauce, then in a separate pot:
- Steam the raw vegetables for ten minutes
- Add two cups fresh or frozen vegetables and steam further 5 minutes
- Remove vegetables from steamer, discard water and add to turkey & sauce mixture.
- I like to add half a teaspoon of dry oregano and a couple of shakes of black pepper
- That's it!
- If needed reheat the squash strands in a microwave for a minute before serving
- Top with the turkey tomato sauce
- It's extra tasty with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top
- This makes generous portions for four adults
- Serve with a spinach side salad followed by ...
This is an economical, quick and easy meal which your family will love.
Thanks Diane for being so thoughtful and preparing such a super meal
- This high fibre lunch or dinner is perfect for home or to share with friends
- The vegetables used can be varied - mushrooms, peppers, whatever you have on hand
- Use a little olive oil to roast squash if parchment paper not used
- I use my own home-canned tomato sauce with fresh basil, garlic & oregano instead of store-bought
Here's a few more healthy and simple recipes for you to try:
Leave a Reply