The video, "How Sugar & Processed Foods Impact your Health" is a recent interview with Dr Robert Lustig and Professor Andrew Huberman, Stanford University School of Medicine. It is such an important topic discussing how ultra processed foods and added sugars can change our families health. As a mother and grandmother I urge parents in particular to take the time to watch this video and be aware of how the food we feed our loved ones can change our lives.
"It ought to be of interest to anyone seeking to understand how specific food choices impact the immediate and long-term health of the brain and body"
Andrew Huberman ~ Professor of Neurobiology Stanford University
"It's all about the insulin" ~ Dr Robert Lustig
This video has so much up to date information with lots of helpful knowledge and facts. Plus additional links to check out on the video.
Some brief 'Tips' to help you on your way from Dr Lustig:
- Firstly say "NO to Added Sugar"
- "Real Food" does not need a label
- Focus on food "gems" e.g eggs are terrific
- Its okay to eat from NOVA Class 1 or 2 & 3 (see link below)
- Avoid all foods in NOVA Class 4
- Also avoid any foods which have more than 4 ingredients per product
- Be aware that 75% of processed food in your local grocery store contain a 'sugar'
- There are more than 262 names for sugar. Wow!
- Focus on less "mental" stress and increase fiber to help reduce inflammation
- Lots more very useful information included in the video from Metabolic Syndrome to Intermittent Fasting and which foods Dr. Lustig recommends. Enjoy!
- FYI: Dr Lustig video is 3.5 hours in duration
Other Links on Sugar etc
I first came across Dr Lustig's name over a decade ago when I was trying to "sort out" my own health and purchased the book "Pure White & Deadly" by John Yudkin - How Sugar is Killing Us and What we Can Do to Stop It" (1972), The introduction was written by Dr Robert Lustig. This was the beginning of positive change in our family lifestyle and health - which continues today. You can begin by watching this new video.
Approximately 80 percent of the 6,000,000 consumer
packaged foods in the United States
have added caloric sweeteners. Sugar's not dangerous
because of its calories, or because it makes you fat.
Sugar is dangerous because it's sugar.
It's not nutrition.
~ Dr Robert Lustig
In the coming years hope that "How Sugar & Processed Foods Impact Your Health", will be watched tens of millions of times like Dr Lustig's "Sugar the Bitter Truth".
Recommended Daily sugar limits
There is much more to add so please check out some of the other links below and in the video. As always, hope you have been inspired to improve you and your family's health.
With sincere thanks to all especially to two remarkable people - Dr Robert Lustig & Prof Andrew Huberman.
Best wishes ~ Liz
Links & References:
- "Sugar - the Bitter Truth" Dr Robert Lustig UCTV (14 years ago) 1.5 hour video Viewed more than 24+ million times
- "BLINDED ..." TYPE 2 DIABETES ~ DR JAMES MUECKE" (2023) (eye surgeon)
- Premature Deaths Attributable to the Consumption of Ultraprocessed Foods in Brazil" American Journal of Preventive Medicine (Jan 2023)
- WHAT EXACTLY IS ULTRA PROCESSED FOOD? NOVA dietary guidelines Brazil. (2021) Dr Lustig refers to this in the video
- 'DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR THE BRAZILIAN POPULATION' from Ministry of Health Brazil (2015)
- "EAT REAL" Real food is the solution in public schools - Dr Robert Lustig
- Dr Robert Lustig website - https://robertlustig.com/
- Dr Andrew Huberman website - https://www.hubermanlab.com/
Caramel and Parsley Disclaimer: As always seek medical advice and be proactive with you and your family's health.
The "last" word today from Dr Robert Lustig:
There is nothing that will improve your health, your well-being,
your achievement, your sense of accomplishment,
your sense of community,
and the health and happiness of your family
as much as cooking yourself and
enjoying a meal with others."
~ Robert Lustig, MDL, MSL