A favourite of my Mum's was this truly enjoyable Tomato & Onion casserole. It is amazing how easy it is to put together and every time when served up it is a big hit. Did I mention it was healthy especially when using home grown organic tomatoes. Mum never owned a cook book as most of her recipes she had memorized so this is a reproduction recipe I have used in recent years. Thanks Mum ❤️
Ingredients : for 4 adults
- * Sliced tomatoes 2 cups - or Canned Tomatoes
- Onions - 2 cups (2 to 3 medium size) - Sliced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- For top of casserole - 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- Optional: ½ Teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs for topping. (easy to dry your own)
- Parmesan cheese (topping)
- * Fresh organic tomatoes are not available so I used my home canned tomatoes (liquid drained) as substitute. This kicks the flavour up a few notches
Directions ... Oh So Easy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Oil bottom 9" x 9" casserole with olive oil
- Place layer of sliced onions on bottom of casserole then a layer of sliced tomatoes adding herbs in between layers
- Add a layer of bread crumbs on top to cover tomatoes
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and pieces of butter on top of bread crumbs
- Bake for half an hour to 45 minutes in oven & ... that's all folks
In Closing ...
This tasty dish is great as a "side" with any meal. For example a lamb or chicken roast with veggies and a salad is the ultimate simple.
For "low carbers" mashed cauliflower can be substituted for the bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper to your taste, before baking if desired.
Another family meal idea can be to use this recipe as a base for a Shepherd's pie. Add a layer of cooked ground mince and substitute mashed potatoes (or mashed cauliflower) on top with a sprinkling of your favourite cheese and butter. Baking time, using cooked mince meat, is the same.
Home cooking does not have to be complicated, expensive or take loads of time to make Real Food. Experiment and enjoy especially if you are a #Stay@Home during the current virus. Best of health and take care. Happy Mothers Day to all our wonderful mothers and to mine for her legacy of healthy food, kindness and love, as well as many other life lessons. Cheers ~ Liz
Links & References:
- Another easy healthy recipe from CAP - an Oven Baked Frittata
- ... and here are 3 simple salads to go with any meal from CAP
- Our health: "Covid19 Impact mostly driven by obesity" Interview BBC with Dr Aseem Malhotra 5 minute video (April 27, 2020)
- Complications of Metabolic Disease ie diabetes & obesity & virus from Dr Aseem Malhotra 7 minute video (March 22, 2020)
- This short cartoon video "Sugar is Killing Us" has been seen at least a million times