The Cancer Connection
Where it all began. After surgery and radiation treatment for cancer in the Summer and Fall of 2008 I sent the following email to my children. I do not recall all the sources of this information, but included were links to two film specials that affected me greatly at that time especially the information on increased breast, prostate and testicular cancers from toxic chemicals in our lives.
Here it is for the most part:
Although not considering myself a purist, I am trying to minimize known toxins in our life to maintain a healthier home. We are doing this in part by:
- Only use glass, stainless steel or ceramic in kitchen. No aluminium or styrofoam, plastic especially for food storage!
- Home and furniture made of solid wood, metal and plywood (not pressed board!) - Recycled is great. Something like 50% of the toxins in new furniture dissipates within six months!
- Towels, bed linen, clothes should be natural fibre e.g. Wool. cotton, etc.
- No vinyl flooring (use wood bamboo or cotton area rugs, etc) and no wall to wall carpeting
- No commercial cleaners – vinegar is still a great cleaner
- No aluminium wiring or asbestos or PVC products in house (nor formaldahyde)
- Gardens : no treated lumber, chemicals, and no mulch with treated grass clippings
- Always have two windows open in house / room for cross ventilation
I watched a program on the CBC last night called "The Disappearing Male" and it all had to do with the (reproductive) toxicity in humans from phallides and bisphenol A polycarbonate and how the chemicals are permanently altering genes, especially male (also in some animal species ie crocodiles in Florida). I had no idea it was so dangerous and may not be around in large quantities but is in so much around us. Canada now has banned baby and sports bottles with lexan and polycarbonate, etc. Interesting the lining of our tinned food has this product also!! Also they claim, there is an increase in prostate, testicular and breast cancer due to this!
I was pretty overwhelmed when I saw the program, like almost disbelief, that the use of these chemicals is so widespread and they are available mostly without current research. You are probably well aware of this but I was not to the degree the TV show went into. I can see I will be digging out all my organic urban living lifestyle books from the 70's.
Tons of Love, Your Mum
The second documentary which had quite an impact on me at that time was on pollution of the great lakes, called https://www.nfb.ca/interactive/waterlife_en/
There certainly is a lot to think about!
"The Disappearing Male" video link updated December 2016