It is officially Wintertime and for the past few days we have been enjoying one of our favourite "comfort" soups ROAST TURKEY SOUP - SUPER QUICK Homemade healthy soups which are a mainstay in our cold and sometimes snowy winters. So here are three more we enjoy and you have a choice of a "new" soup for each week of the month.
"Soup is like a warm blanket on a cold winter's day." - Unknown
As the introduction to this article states 'this new addition to my 'Soups Menu' is now a staple enjoyed by all. Like many of my recipes, they are usually simple to make and economical as well as super nutritious. The bonus for me is that in the middle of our winter I use my Fall canned beets and this really "boosts" the flavour and nutrition.
Now this really is an old, and much loved, recipe. At the time of writing all the ingredients were "reasonably priced" so pick and choose your ingredients if needed. We were fortunate to have game meat mince and this was an added bonus when cooking this special soup. This soup is very filling and I often use extra hamburger and veggies to make a "chunky" meal.
This soup is another recent addition mostly as I now grow our own organic Butternut Squash which really grows with very little care and stores well over winter in our garage. Bonus there are always lots of squash to give away to family & friends and I use my own seeds for the next years crop.
This thick and delicious soup is a favourite and I always seem to find room for 'seconds'.
Ideas for Soups:
- Add Garnishes such as a spoon of sour cream or plain yoghurt (no sugar) plus a sprinkling of sliced nuts (almonds), grated cheese or chopped fresh parsley, chives etc
- Store soups overnight in a fridge or cool area - always seems to taste better the next day
- If you are able to grow some of your own veggies, such as Squash' or herbs such as Parsley it is a bonus. You really can taste the difference!
- I have re-started growing a few potatoes in the garden. They are a fabulous "storage" vegetable. Peal and dice one small / medium potato makes a great soup "thickener" when added to your soup
- Homemade soups are a great idea for a boost to your kids school lunch, or your own work lunch. Just use a wide mouth thermos - and not too large.
- Finally, soups are a simple "comfort" food. Homemade soups can be very healthy for all especially if made with fresh ingredients which add much more flavour, nutrients and pleasure
- Another bonus for most soups is that they can be blended into a 'creamy' soup which is more easily digestible for those with difficulty swallowing or chewing
Side Dishes for BIG Appetites
If you have a large number of people to feed add:
- QUICK & EASY TURKEY CHILLI - vegetarian or meat. Mind you these are family meal in themselves - Make up simple, small wraps with the chilli & greens
- We enjoy salads all year - mostly brassica based eg cauliflower, cabbages, kale, garlic, tomato and onions & greens. Here are three of my top 3 SUPER SIMPLE SALADS
- A simple dessert can be a sugar free Greek yoghurt with fresh (frozen) fruit such as blueberries and whipped cream and some almond slivers
I am hoping, if you are still with me, that you are going to try a new soup recipe. There are lots of recipes online, and from cookbooks at your favourite library or bookstore. The idea is you try a few soup recipes, and find one that you and your family really enjoy. Nutritious and delicious apply to these varied soups.
As a child, in our winters (yes we have them in Australia) our mother was the 'Queen of Soups' and the soup fragrances when coming home from school are a happy Lifetime Memory.
Have fun - stay healthy and happy ~ Liz
Links & References:
- 'Low-carb diet reverses type 2 diabetes in 51% of participants to new study' Dr David Unwin Medical News Today
- Saturated fat heart disease ‘myth’ Dr Aseem Malhotra
Caramel and Parsley
- THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC IN NORTH AMERICA TODAY (2023)
- Grow greens & herbs in your unheated greenhouse 8 REASONS TO BUY A GREENHOUSE FOR THE VEGETABLE GARDEN
- Cannot resist another of my favourite soup recipes CREAMY CAULIFLOWER & COCONUT SOUP