It’s that time of the year when dark winter days can seem never-ending and there are a lot of sniffles, colds and flu around to get you down. I am always looking for a good way to support our immune system, besides consuming 8 to 10 raw fruits and vegetables a day. It is not always easy to eat this many veggies so this immune boost elixir from the cookbook “Refresh” is well worth a try especially if you are feeling a little run down after the Christmas holiday season.
Immune System Elixir Ingredients
- 1/2″ ginger root
- 1 small beet (our host used 2)
- 2 medium red apples
- 2 medium carrots (our host used 3)
Optional to add if you feel a cold coming on:
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin C powder
- 20 drops Echinacea
Give the fruit and vegetables a good wash and clean, cutting off the ends of the carrots and coring the apples. Then simply juice the ingredients in the following order:
If using the last two ingredients stir in the Vitamin C powder and then lastly the Echinacea
Pour over ice and serve – that’s it. So simple. Kids and adults will both enjoy this healthy juice.
Notes & References
- Yes this is another 5 minute, easy to prepare recipe that is so good for you
- Fresh organic beets, carrots and apples can all be purchased, reasonably priced in bulk in the Fall and will store in a cool garage for several months
- There are many other quick and easy ways to make healthy juice for a fast pick me up
- If you have an abundance of fresh vegetables or fruit why not can your own juice at home
- A few more suggestions on how to boost your immune system
- The pulp from the juice is a great addition to the compost pile
- Ginger which has been used medicinally for over a hundred years; is good for nausea and upset stomach and helps prevent the flu. Recent studies show it may also reduce tumours
- This recipe is from the vegan recipe cookbook “Refresh” by Ruth Tal with Jennifer Houston with recipes from Chef Lusur Lee.
- Toronto’s Fresh Restaurant on Crawford – A visit to this restaurant is a “must” when you visit Toronto, Ontario. Highly recommended by our kids and friends
Cheers to your good health
Leave a Reply